Welcome!

The Hood Cemetery is one of Germantown's oldest historic sites. Originally known as the Lower Burial Ground, it is located on land set aside in 1692 as a secular burial ground for residents of lower Germantown. It is estimated that more than 1000 persons are buried within its two acres, including many of the earliest settlers of Germantown and a number of prominent Philadelphians. There are also many veterans’ graves, including those of 41 Revolutionary War soldiers, and veterans of subsequent conflicts, including the War of 1812 and the Civil War. In 1847, Germantown resident William Hood donated an elaborate stone gateway and wall along Germantown Avenue. In return, he was buried just inside the entrance, and the cemetery name was changed in his honor.

Today, the cemetery is a beautiful green oasis within an urban neighborhood. The monumental stone entranceway is a significant landmark on Germantown Avenue.

4901 Germantown Avenue, Philadelphia PA 19144
info@hoodcemetery.org

Hood Cemetery
Historic Germantown